Monday, October 31, 2011

mangoes and jacarandas

Ed remarked on all the Jacaranda trees he and Cris saw from the air when they landed in Sydney last Thursday. 'Funny,' say I, 'I've been complaining that I haven't seen any yet.' I've put it down to the cold October.

Of course all the way home in the car Ed pointed out the numerous Jacaranda trees en route, but had the grace to acknowledge they're not very bright and easy to miss. Since then they've appeared all over the place, bright and purple. I love them. When I was working at Uni the appearance of the Jacaranda marked exam time and the end of face to face teaching for three months. A great relief! They only last a couple of weeks but cheer me up every time I see them.

Something else that cheers me is the arrival of mangoes. They've been around for about a month but too expensive to buy unless I win Lotto which I haven't, maybe because I haven't bought tickets??? Now theyr'e reasonably priced and beautifully ripe so I'm tucking in.

Tomorrow is Melbourne Cup Day, a huge day not only on  the racing calendar but all over Australia.  With a bit of luck those punters who're planning to fly to Melbourne via QANTAS might be able to make it. The dispute is over...for 3 weeks at least. I've been off QANTAS lately mainly because of cramped airline seating internationally. For my next trip I'm definitely going to look elsewhere after all this.

After aqua exercise I'm going over the road to the Bowling Club with my aqua pals for a Melbourne Cup lunch. There's a hat competitition. Judging by the monstrosities at Prince William and Kate's wedding, I figure I can't go wrong with a paper plate stuck to the side of my head!

No comments:

Post a Comment